Changes

   I've been in college for two entire months now and it has not been a complete trash two months. I love my HBCU (sometimes), I love the friends I have made, most of my classes are great, and I have had like four great meals. However though, as expected, there have been downsides to my college experience like only having four great meals, my roommate isn’t who I thought she’d be as a person, I am, as my mother would put it, finally beginning to learn that the sun doesn’t rise and set for me, and when I go back home, I will not be the same Kamryn I left as.
   I am experiencing an awakening everyone says happens in college. I’m finding myself. I’m meeting college Kamryn and I like her. I’m becoming more straightforward and blunt but in a less aggressive way, Frank Ocean helps keep me sane, and reading people is extremely easy right now because we are all trying to find ourselves.
   What do I mean when I say I’m becoming more straightforward and frank but in a less aggressive way? I mean that I’m still a confrontational person but now I only confront when necessary and not when I’m bored. I no longer seek drama but I seek a good time. One of my favorite things to do at school is go to one of my friend’s room, turn on some music (they have cut me off from Frank Ocean) and just talk. It’s a very peaceful activity.
   I’ve learned about myself that I like being around the people I choose to be around vs the people I was around solely because we grew up together and I didn’t realize that until I got to college. Most of my friends were my friends because we grew up together and saw each other strictly on weekdays in our high school. I have friends here in college that I’m lucky to see 2 times a week and they are still more of a friend to me than some of my high school friends and that's FACTS! Evidently I’m not the only one changing. As stated before, we, first year college students, are trying to figure out who we are. Everyone I grew up with, went to high school with, briefly glanced at while walking around campus is changing one way or another and that is how reading people easily comes in.
   As we are coming of age, we are extremely vulnerable and it’s really easy to read people when their guard of protection is down. You’re open and looking for friends because more times than none you didn't come to school with anybody and if you did then unfortunately you may not remain friends with them due to their and your awakening. THAT IS OKAY! 
   Growing bring changes and changes are needed for growth.
 

Comments